The original looked like this
|The original chateau (not painted by me)|
The first step was to re-paint the ground floor brickwork to actually look like bricks. A solid base coat of Foundry Conker shade was a good start, then I picked out a few bricks in darker brown tones and one or two in a much lighter red (go steady with these tho!). Next, I applied a wash of GW Agrax Earthshade to pick out the brick edges. Then I highlighted the bricks in their original colours, although a few were left with just the wash to give a greater range of brick colours.
The ground floor quoins and door/window frames were also too pink so these got a coat of Foundry Boneyard mid, then light. A little fiddly at times but worth the effort.
On to the upper floors! The light pink wall was painted in Foundry Ochre mid then given a highlight of Ochre mid mixed with some Boneyard light. I also used the Boneyard palette to neaten the window frames and shutters.
The roof will eventually be tiled 'properly' so for now it just got a little tidy up.
Whilst the building stands within a larger set of grounds, I felt that it needed a bit of climbing foliage to add another layer of detail. This was achieved using some clump foliage and a selection of tufts.
I’m *much* happier with this piece now.
Whilst I had the ‘gardening’ box out, I added a few little extras to the enclosing wall sections too!
The next improvement will be to add some battle damaged wall sections as this will ‘open up’ the terrain a little.