Tuesday, 5 November 2013

Digging In ... Again

About 10 years ago I built a modular battlefield. Then a few years back, after getting interested in gaming The Great War, I started converting it in to a small section of the Western Front. However, following the conversion of the garage (in our old house) into a spare room I no longer had anywhere to do all the messy work so the project rather stalled.

Anyway, we now have a proper garage so I've been making some space to re-start this project. Here it is.

I'd like to be able to do a some in a "little and often" fashion as it's going to be quite a lot of work! A couple of hours per week should keep it ticking along nicely plus allow some time for other projects.

This is one of the 4' x 2' (approx 1220mm x 610mm) sections. In background of the first picture you can see the other section that I've started - that will be the cratered ground in front of the trench section, i.e. placed to the left of the board in the picture below.

The boards are 50mm deep so I can have 'proper' depth trenches with fire-steps too.

I have two more 4' x 2' sections that are still rolling green wilderness so these will eventually be added to give me about 32 square feet of modular Great War battlefield.

Inspiration for this table has come from many sources: visits to Belgium and France, the Great War rulebook, the Gripping Beast table (by Wyn Rogers?) that I saw at the Evesham Front event and last, but by no means least, the Great War table created Sidney Roundwood - check out older posts on his blog for details.

All tips and suggestions most welcome!

6 comments:

Lurkus Spleen said...

Nice one mate put me down for a game once there finished ;)

Cheers, Steve.

Michael Mills said...

Impressive! I'll be following this with interest...

Monty said...

Very interesting project. I've been thinking about a built in trench for a long time so I'm following your progress with interest.
:-)

DHC Wargames said...

I shall be starting something similar later this decade (yes I know...). Once did a trench board for a Sci-Fi game. Although it looked good, it did not match anything historical. Instead of using it as a base for a future project, I decided to just sell it off. So you have my respect for doing things this way!

Matt said...

Thanks Chaps!

I decided to re-use the boards mainly because of the cost/effort of building the timber trays and sourcing the 50mm ceiling insulation!

If starting from scratch I would have aimed for 2' x 2' modules using 25-30mm foam and built up the edges of trenches, etc. These would have been much more portable.

Cheers

Matt

legatus hedlius said...

Interesting. Will follow progress on this. Trenches are what stops me painting my WW1 figures!

When I first looked at the pictures I did think it was a table full of Brie and Camembert, though!